Friday 16 May 2014

Benefit Big Easy Review and FOTD

I've been working for Benefit Cosmetics for about 3 weeks now, so I've had plenty of time to put some of their products to the test.  I'll admit right now that when I worked for Benefit about 4 years ago I hated their foundations, and I haven't given them a second glance since.  Their Hello Flawless Oxygen Wow foundation really doesn't work for me.  The palest shade is too yellow, and the pinkest shade too dark, and my oily skin barely goes two hours before I need to powder.  Step in Big Easy.

Big Easy is Benefit's version of a BB cream.  I'm not sure I'd really class it as one though, as it doesn't really have any skin care benefits, we still recommend a primer, and due to the cream to powder formula if you have oily skin you'll definitely need to moisturise.  That being said, it does have SPF 35, which is great as we're getting into the summer.  Here is where I would normally put in a product picture, but I'm away from home at the moment and forgot to take a picture before I left.  So on with the pictures of the foundation in action (click the pictures to enlarge).

Bare skin/Big Easy

Bare skin/Big Easy

As it's a cream to powder formula I find it's be applied with my fingers.  It blends out really easily, and sets down quickly.  It's a sheer-medium foundation, and whilst it's a powder it doesn't look powdery.  Instead it has a lovely satin-matte finish that leaves skin looking smoother.  It's not going to cover up darker blemishes like the ones I have on my chin.  But I think the best way to look like you have nice skin is to use the lightest coverage you can get away with, and then conceal any bad patches with concealer.  If you're looking for a full coverage you should probably skip this one.

As it's a powder finish most can skip the setting powder.  I like to set my concealer, and then dust a little over my t-zone though.

For me, the real test of a foundation is how well it holds up against my oily skin.  Even with mattifying moisturisers and primers, I still need to powder around the 3-4 hour mark.  Big Easy can make it through 6 or 7 hours before I start feeling shiney.  This is honestly the best foundation for oily skin that I have ever tried!  I pair it with Porefessional, and I don't have to worry about my skin until the last hour or so of my shift.  I never thought I'd give up my Touche Eclat foundation, but I'm away from home this weekend and it's Big Easy I've packed.

I've had the chance to try this on lots of different skin tones and types over the last 3 weeks.  Shade wise, there are only 6 shades, but as the foundation adjusts to match your skin tone more closely (much like Benefit's You Rebel), there will be one to suit most.  You may struggle if you have particularly  dark skin though, as the darkest shade isn't all that dark.  Dryer skin tones will want to make sure that they've moisturised well, as the powder finish can cling to dry patches.  That being said, I've seen people with dryer skin love the finish of it.  It's worth popping down to your local Benefit counter to try out.

Finally, here's a couple of pics of the finished look!






Face
Benefit Big Easy in Light
Benefit Boi-ing concealer in Light
Urban Decay Razor Sharp Ultra Definition Finishing Powder in Light
Illamasqua Skin Base Lift concealers in Light and White 1
Fashionista Butterscotch blush
MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Lightscapade

Eyes
NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base
NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk
Shiro Cosmetics eyeshadows in Master Sword, We're Up All Night To Get Loki, and You Know Nothing
MAC Mineralize Eyeshadow in Blue Flame
Sugarpill eyeshadow in Tako
Rimmel Glam Eyes black liquid liner
Urban Decay 24/7 pencils in Junkie and Freak
Lancome Hypnose Star mascara
MUFE Aqua Brow

Lips
Too Faced lipstick in Nude Beach
Chanel lipgloss in Aragonite 

No comments:

Post a Comment